Ramblings about my two favorite kids

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The dreaded vegetable

For the past 8 months, Sam has claimed to not like carrots. Every time I put one on his plate, he is quick to remind me that he believes they are not edible. He has even gone so far as to gag on them when trying to get one down with a big swig of chocolate milk (his dad's preferred method of consuming "icky" veggies).

Tonight I made a pot roast in the crock pot with potatoes and the dreaded vegetable. I put a little bit of everything on the kids' plates and went back over to the counter to get my own plate ready. While I was over there, Sam asked "Mom, what is this?" I responded with a general "pot roast" without even turning to look what he was asking about.

Then I walked over to the table and saw him putting a carrot in his mouth.

Voluntarily.

And apparently, it was at least the second one of the night.

"Mom, what is this? I like it."

"Really?"

"But it looks like a carrot."

"Oh. It's pot roast vegetables." (I wasn't going to ruin a good thing!)

After he had finished all the carrots on the plate, I did inform him that they didn't just look like carrots, they were carrots. I expected some not-so-pleasant comments from him.

"Oh! I like carrots now! I'm big enough to like carrots!"

No comments: