At which point I thought my life was so difficult with one 2-year-old that I couldn't possibly manage to unpack properly.
So, as I took things out of boxes I basically threw them into the nearest cupboard or closet and called it good.
However, it was most definitely not good.
After living in Tasmania with next to nothing, I have been inspired to attempt to rid myself of all the extra stuff we have laying around so that the things I actually do want to possess can be contained in some sort of organized manner.
I started about two weeks ago with the tupperware cupboard. (Though I shouldn't really call it that since I don't own a single piece of authentic tupperware.)
My progress went something like this.
Day 1: Go to Target and Walmart and spend way too much money on various pieces of plastic that will hopefully inspire me to put things away where they belong.
Day 2: Unload aforementioned items from van. Deposit in dining room.
Day 3: Have kids empty tupperware from cupboard so I can sort through it and get rid of all the mismatched items.
Day 4: Walk over the tupperware that was deposited in the dining room ever so obediently by the children at least 8 times. Sort nothing.
Day 5: Repeat of Day 4.
Day 6: Sort through tupperware.
Day 7: Place tupperware back in cupboard completely organized. Emphasize to children that this cupboard will no longer be considered available for use as a cave in which to play with flashlights and glowsticks. Scare Sadie out of her socks with the shriek I let out when she started to try to take out the shelf in order to get in there to play. Re-emphasize the fact that it is no longer a designated play area.
Day 8: Plan playdate with friends from college that I haven't seen in a while. Offer to have it at my house.
Day 9: Empty a lot of other cupboards and closets and strew contents across first floor of house. Rescind offer of hosting playdate due to complete mess and lack of motivation to do much about it. (Thankfully, they were very understanding and Molly had it at her house. I should point out that she really did just move into her house and had much more reason to have a mess than I did.)
Day 10: Tackle a good number of kitchen cupboards and hall closet. Deposit a lot of items on the countertops.
Day 11: Look at countertops and want to cry.
Day 12: Repeat of Day 11.
Day 13: Deal with countertops. Take pictures and post to blog to document for my mother that I may indeed have learned something from her in the 18 years I lived in her house.
So, here are the pictures. I am sure you are all on the edge of your seats with anticipation.
My countertops have never been this clear. Well, other than the day we moved in.
1 comment:
I love the TS box in the first "tupperware" cabinet picture - we should pay you for advertising "Bountiful Beer Bread - Buy. Eat. Repeat."
Ok - now will you come over and help me organize like this?? ;-)
Post a Comment