My last post was about Sam finally going to sleep all by himself.
And let me just say, the past week has been blissful at bedtime. Books, kisses, prayers, goodnights, and goodbye - see you in the morning. There have been no whines, no tears, no meltdowns - all of which I had feared would set in after the first night. I've left each night and not heard a peep until morning.
Until tonight.
Sam discovered the art of stalling.
I tucked him in and went down the hall to work on my computer in our spare bedroom/office.
His first ventured out of his room to go into Sadie's room to tell her it was time to go to sleep. Twice. Even though she was already laying (or lying) in her crib, babbling herself to sleep.
Then he decided I needed a little company.
Sam: Mom, how's your work going?
Mom: Fine, thanks for asking, now go back to bed.
And the next visit....
Sam: Why aren't you sleeping yet? Why are you working? Where are you going to sleep tonight? I think you should sleep in the office.
Mom: I have work to do, and I am not sleeping in my office. I am sleeping in my bed.
Sam: But I want you to sleep in the office.
Mom: Why?
Sam: I just like for you to sleep different places.
Mom: I am not sleeping in here. Go back to bed.
And the next visit.....
Sam: Umm...I have to tell you something.
Mom: What?
Sam: I found a shirt on my floor, so I put it in my drawer for you.
Mom: Thanks.
Sam: OK?
Mom: Yep - go back to bed.
And the next visit....
Sam: Can you please sleep in the office?
Mom: No.
Sam: But I want you to.
Mom: Go back to bed.
Sam: But will you sleep in the office?
Mom. No. Go back to bed.
Sam: Please will you sleep in the office?
Mom: Fine. Whatever. Go back to bed.
And the next visit....
Sam: I found this toy on my floor. It belongs in the basement. I think you should bring it to the basement.
Mom. Thanks. I'll do that later.
Sam: You're sleeping in here, right?
Mom: Good-bye.
And the next visit....
Mom: If you don't go back to your room, you are in trouble.
Sam: (After thinking a bit) But where will I be in trouble?
(He gets sent to his room when he is in trouble, so I am sure he was trying to figure out that since he was already supposed to be in his room, if being in trouble would somehow get him out of his room.)
Mom: Do you want to be in trouble?
Sam: No, but where will I be in trouble?
Mom: If you don't want to be in trouble, then you don't need to know where trouble is. Go get in bed.
And, finally, with a very dejected look on his face (and me trying to contain my laughter) he slunk back down the hall and climbed into bed. (Well, I shouldn't say climbed, since he is still sleeping on the floor. Which explains why the shirt and the toy were among his distractions tonight....)
Ramblings about my two favorite kids
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment