Ramblings about my two favorite kids

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Like mother, like daughter

I used to read.

A lot.

Something other than random blogs and facebook statuses.
(I really think the plural form of status should be stati, don't you.)

I used to read books. I would go to the library and check them out.

That was before I had children.

I managed to get a decent number of books when it was just Sam and me at home during the day. I could get to the library, restrain him long enough to grab a few books, and devour them in every free moment I had while he was sleeping or playing nicely by himself (Did that ever really happen?) or running in the street.

Just kidding about that last part.

(Though maybe I was known to carry a book with me as he pushed his scooter up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down our street in Muscatine.)

But since Sadie arrived I have been to the library and grand total of zero times. I don't even have a library card here. The thought of going to the library with the two of them scares me.

I don't really know why, since I take the two of them plenty of other places and we seem to manage, but I have visions of Sadie running through the shelves knocking books left and right while emitting a high-pitched screech that I can't get out of my head.

So instead, every once in a while I treat myself to buying a book, usually on some late night trip to WalMart when I have time to go in the book aisle for more than 3.2 seconds.

And then I spend the next 2 days like this.

Letting my daughter peruse her own book (which might just happen to be a People magazine - the girl wouldn't want to actually look at something age appropriate) so I can get my book read. (While my husband and son are greeted with little more than a grunt when they try to communicate with me.)

But then it's over. I read too fast and the book is done and I wonder why I just blew $12.99 for something that only lasts 48 hours when I could have gotten it for free.

But I have big plans for the fall.

The kiddos will both be in afternoon preschool at the same time.

And after I have my fill of afternoon naps, I just might make it to the library one day.

And I'll check out a whole stack of People magazines for Sadie.

2 comments:

Erin said...

So - what book did you read??!!??

I heard one of the best ways to get your kids to love reading is to let them catch you reading. So, I say indulge more often!

Unknown said...

there is an other solution, you can once buy an electronic book reader, and then just download books (well, or buy) books from the internet.