Ramblings about my two favorite kids

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The day he has been waiting for

Ever since I nixed Sam sharing his fruit snacks with Sadie shortly after we came home from China, he has been asking when she will be allowed to eat them. (I did let her eat most everything before her surgery, figuring most food items would eventually disintegrate and make it out her nose if they got stuck up in her cleft. However, I drew the line at fruit snacks.....those things would never disintegrate on their own!) I explained to him that she had an owie in her mouth and it needed to be fixed before she could eat them. So, every time she had a doctor's appointment (and she had quite a few pre-surgery) he would get excited afterward and ask, "Can I share my fruit snacks now?" The poor kid was disappointed with a few too many negative responses, I guess, because he hasn't brought it up since early December.

Tonight Joe broke out a new box of fruit snacks he had gotten for Sam while grocery shopping and Sam could hardly believe it when we told him he could share with Sadie now.

Me: Sam - you get to share your fruit snacks with Sadie!
Sam: Her mouth is fixed?
Me: Yep - it's fixed. She can eat them.
Sam: It's really, really fixed?!

Here they are - fruit snacks! Look Sadie! (But then watch me eat it myself!)
Hurry up, Sam - find one for me!
Here you go!
And she patiently waits for more........
...and gets to put one in her own mouth.
More, please!

No comments: