Ramblings about my two favorite kids

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

a few too many clicks

On a recent visit my parents taught Sam how to use a mouse (the computer-kind). About 6 months ago I started entertaining him every once in a while with computer games from his favorite shows I found online, and he was content to pick the game and watch me play it.

That has now ended. On one hand, it is a very nice development, as I can now leave him at the computer alone while Sadie is napping and get a few things done around the house, checking in on him as I walk by. On the other hand, it's a little scary to have a just-turned-3-year-old able to navigate between websites. I start him off at Bob the Builder and he knows how to get to Barney, Thomas, and his current favorite, Roary the Racing Car (which, incidentally, has websites in different languages and Sam always like to pick "not where we live." I was quite amused to find him listening to sing-alongs in French and Spanish one day).

He also knows how to close the browser's window when he is done. That is fine, except that he then has a tendency to move on to rearranging my desktop icons. Not that big a deal, but I am afraid of what he may accidentally delete someday, so he has been given strict instructions not to click on anything that is not on a game. He is usually quite obedient. However, today I came down from running some laundry upstairs and found him with a few different windows open, including a lesson for a math book I wrote some time ago. I stopped, looked at him, and before I had the chance to say anything he blurted out quite guiltily, "Ummmm.....I did something."

No comments: