Ramblings about my two favorite kids

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Soy-gurt

I never knew there was such a thing as yogurt made from soymilk, until I accidentally bought it at Wal-Mart. Sam had gotten really excited about some child-size individual portions of yogurt when we were at Melissa's house, so I thought I would get some. There are all kinds of options, from yogurt in a tube to Trix multi-colored swirled stuff to organic. I decided to be as healthy as possible and get the organic kind, somehow not connecting that the "Oh Soy!" on the label meant that it wasn't what I would consider "real yogurt."

We got home and I opened up a container for Sam. I looked at it and immediately say "ooooooooh" in a not-so-positive way. (For your information, soy yogurt has a tendency to separate so it looks like some icky watery substance on top with some random chunks floating in it.) He looked at it and said "That's not yogurt!" I realized it was probably my original comment that had biased him slightly, so I very sweetly said, "Yes, it is yogurt" followed by "but it sure looks disgusting" under my breath.

I stirred it up so that it would approach the consistency of normal yogurt, put some on a spoon and held it out for Sam to inspect. Surprisingly, he took a bite and exclaimed, "Oh - it IS yogurt!" and proceeded to eat the entire container, and then 2 more.

The next day at the grocery store I was feeling guilty for forcing him to eat the soy stuff, so I bought another pack of actual dairy yogurt, which happened to have pictures of Diego on it. I was going to redeem myself. That afternoon, I offered it to Sam. His reply, "I want other yogurt, please."

No comments: