Ramblings about my two favorite kids

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A few conversations

As we have been preparing for Sadie's arrival, Sam often makes comments about her coming. We we also use him to tell others about her - it's much cuter hearing him say "I have a sister - IN CHINA!" than me telling someone we are adopting. In the past few months there have been a few conversations I have meant to blog about, but haven't managed to get typed in.

My sister's name is...........
Earlier this summer while on our various vacations, I would use Sam to announce our adoption news to new people he met:

Me: Sam, do you have a sister?
Sam: Yes.
Me: Where is she?
Sam: In China.
Me: And what's her name?
Sam: Sadie.
(Followed by "Awwwwwww...that's so cute" from whoever he happened to be telling.)

After going through that drill a few too many times, he decided to have a little fun with it. When I would ask the final question, instead of saying her name, his reply was "Dusty." And the next time "Turner." And then "Stretch." And finally he told someone "Hammer." His sister had turned into the cast of characters from his then favorite show, Handy Manny. Thankfully now we have made it full circle around to Sadie again.

All by myself
One day Sam and I were in the van discussing Joe and I going to China to get Sadie. We had told him earlier that week that when we went to China he would be staying with Grandma and Papa.

Sam: When you go to China, I go to Grandma and Papa's.
Me: That's right. Grandma and Papa will take care of you while we are gone.
Sam: How I get there?
Me: I will take you there before we leave.
Sam: No. I go all by myself.
Me: Really?
Sam: Yes. I drive van to Grandma and Papa's all by myself.
Me: You are too little to drive the van.
Sam: When I get bigger, I can drive?
Me: Sure, when you get bigger.

Then a few weeks later we had a similar conversation and this time I asked him if he knew the way to their house. He said he did. Apparently all you have to do is "go on highway, stop at stop signs, and turn left at Plainfield."

Can I come?
So - as you just read, I had the fact that Sam was not going along to China pretty well established. Then a good friend of mine bought him an Arthur DVD where the character Binky gets a little sister from China. It has been great to help prepare him, other than the fact that Binky gets to go along to China, and that detail did not escape Sam. One day I was telling someone about us going to China, and all of a sudden Sam blurts out very excitedly, "Can I come?"
Me: No, remember just Mommy and Daddy are going to China. Where do you get to go?
Sam: Grandma and Papa's.
Me: Yes, you get to stay with them.
Sam: Yeah - 'cause they need help with their toys. They have too many to do all by themself.

I make her feel better
In the above mentioned Arthur episode, Binky's little sister is a bit fussy and Binky has "the touch" to cheer her up. Sam noticed this and told me, "When Sadie comes home from China, she might cry. But I make her feel better. I'm a big brother, just like Binky."

No comments: