Ramblings about my two favorite kids

Friday, August 27, 2010

I love you this much

Sam used to tell me "I love you SO much!" at bedtime.

Then he escalated it to "I love you SO much I can't even tell you."

Then we hit "I love you thousands and thousands."

And on to "I love you millions and billions and trillions and quadrillions."

Tonight he went on and on and on and on with the quadrillions.

And then he told me "I love Daddy that much too."

I was waiting for him to tell me he loved Sadie that much as well, when I heard the following:

"...and I love Sadie [insert long dramatic pause for time to deeply contemplate how much he loves his sister] 5."

He held up 5 fingers to illustrate his point.

"Because sometimes she messes with my stuff. Or hurts me."

I tried to explain there was a difference between loving someone and liking how they acted. I illustrated with a few moments from our day that I hadn't liked what he had done.

"Remember today when you were in time out? I didn't like what you did, but do you still think I loved you millions and millions?"

"Yes."

"So you can love Sadie millions and millions, but just not like some of the things she does."

He seemed to consider what I was saying. I thought I had gotten my point across.

Until he informed me "Maybe I'll love her more when she's 4. Because then she'll listen more."

No comments: