Ramblings about my two favorite kids

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

too smart for his own good

Sam was "wide awake" tonight at bedtime, so I left him in his room with some books while I went downstairs to get a few things done. After quite a few conversations with him about what time it was, if it was the middle of the night or not, and how many things I had to do, he asked how many minutes it was until morning.

"Like a thousand," I replied, hoping to discourage him from trying to stay awake any longer.

"That's a lot!" he whined.

"It will go faster if you just go to sleep."

"No, it won't. It's always the same amount."

I guess he's got me on that one.

(My other favorite comment of the night was after I replied to him with a very stern "What?!" when he came down saying "Mommy?" for the umpteeth time - he asked me if that was my "busy voice". I think it was more of my "annoyed my 4-year-old is still awake at 9:20 and would be in his bed if he knows what is good for him voice" but he obviously didn't catch on to the subtle difference in tone.)

No comments: