We have been showing him Sadie's picture on a regular basis, asking "Who is this?" to get his response of "That's my sister - she's in China." We hadn't really talked about where China is, or that we have to go to China to get her, or when she is coming to live with us. We stuck with the basic "That's your sister" not thinking he even knew what a sister was. We figured we'd just get him used to that, and when it got closer, we'd give him more details.
Then one day he was looking at a picture of her holding a toy, and he said "She needs bunny." I had no clue what he was talking about, until I remembered that Joe had bought a little pink stuffed bunny the day after we found out about her. Sam had seen it and we told him it was for his sister. Then he says, "When we get back from China, I'll give it to her." Wow.....I almost started crying.
Yesterday, Sam and I got Sadie's room arranged (after having picked up the crib from Jen in Cedar Falls last weekend). I told him the crib was for her, and his reply was "Can I sleep with her?" Seeing as he started treating the crib as a climbing wall as an 18-month-old, I don't think that is going to happen. Sam is quite delighted to have the crib back to use as a jungle gym - as well as play with the couple dolls we've gotten as gifts (making sure they are broken in, I am sure). Today we were playing in there, and all of a sudden he says to me, "You go get my sister now. She play with her dolls." I told him it was going to be a long time until she got to come home, and he told me that when Joe got home, he would help me go get her in China. The poor kid is going to be disappointed when all Joe does tonight is grill supper.........
Here's some pictures of the room - and Sam enjoying it!
1 comment:
Jane,
This is awesome! I have to say I got tears in my eyes when I read your "profile"..."mom to sam and sadie." You ARE a mom again, even if you don't have her in your arms yet. God chose her just for you, before the beginning of time.
I am so entertained by the blog and was laughing out loud!!! This is wonderful. Keep it up!!!
LOVE YOU GUYS!
Amanda
Post a Comment