Ramblings about my two favorite kids

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Just call me grandma

I am packing for China. Not a small task, considering the assortment of items to bring along: clothes for 2 adults and a child that we don't exactly know the size of, formula, diapers, wipes, gifts for the orphanage and foster family, a few toys, a small pharmacy so we are prepared for any type of medical need we might encounter, snacks, bottles, sippy cups, cameras, laptop, a big pile of paperwork, and the list goes on........... And this all has to be accomplished with 1 suitcase weighing 44 pounds and 1 11-pound carry-on per adult to meet the in-China flight restrictions.

To make sure I get every little last thing I can in, I bought a luggage scale. I weighed all our suitcases empty to help determine which to bring along. We had one very large one that weighed over 15 pounds - with nothing in it. The next one down - still quite large - was only 9 pounds empty. I did a test run and filled it with clothes and it came out to 38 pounds full. Perfect. Just the right size to be full, but not overweight.

My next mission was to get another suitcase exactly like it. Thankfully, I had just bought this one about a month ago at Carson Pirie Scott on sale for about $40. So, Saturday morning Sam and I went back to get another one. I even had $15 store credit, a 20% off coupon and there was a "12-hour-sale" happening.

I locate the correct brand, but cannot find one exactly like the other one. There is one that is a slight step up - this one has 4 wheels instead of 2 - and it seems like it is the best one for the money. It says it is 12 pounds when empty. I buy it, but then on my walk out notice that there is indeed one just like I wanted - and 3 pounds lighter than the one I just bought - but it is made out of a lovely tapestry fabric. Now, I don't have anything against tapestry. However, if I see a tapestry suitcase on the baggage claim at an airport, I immediately assume someone over the age of 65 will be retrieving it. And I know my husband's reaction will not be positive. I block those thoughts out of my mind, decide the weight is what really matters at this point, somehow cajole Sam into going back to the check out, and exchange the suitcases. My net out-of-pocket: $15. As I am paying, I make the comment to Sam, "Oh Sam - your dad is going to think this is UGLY."

I underestimated Joe's reaction a bit. I thought he'd look at it, say it was ugly, laugh a little bit, and get over it. Not so much. I don't really exactly remember what he said. Maybe it was That's horrible! or I can't believe you bought that or I am NOT taking that to China or And you wonder why it only cost you $15? I tried to plead my case - I know it's a bit "grandma-ish", but we are concerning about weight here, buddy, and it was the best choice I had in the store and I had a two-year-old with me and was not willing to drive 30 minutes to the next mall down the road to see if they had a black one and anyway, it will be my suitcase, not yours.

He still was quite opposed to it, so I offered that he and Sam could drive to the other mall and exchange it. Go to a mall with a two-year-old while toting a tapestry suitcase?

So - if you happen to be in Beijing next Friday and see a tapestry suitcase on the baggage carousel, keep your eyes open for me - and Joe standing as far away from me as possible.

Here's Sam showing it off - I was hoping he would say it was Daddy's, but he must have been brainwashed.



2 comments:

Julie said...

Jane,
Believe me, when you're trying to cram in all your great buys from China and you're almost overweight Joe will love the tapestry suitcase. We can't wait to follow your journey. Have a wonderful time. Julie
(met you at BD's Mongolian BBQ for MNO)

Sue said...

Hee hee. Well. Remind Joe that if anyone is making fun of your suitcase it will be in Mandarin and you won't be able to understand! :)
Better the granny suitcase that can handle the trip than a cheap one that looks "cool" that breaks!!!