Ramblings about my two favorite kids

Friday, October 10, 2008

Saturday AM

Saturday Morning:

We had a good night’s sleep - went to bed around 9 and got up around 8:30. Last night we walked to Wangfujing Street to get something to eat, but were so overwhelmed by all the choices and the Chinese-ness of it all we ended up just buying a few things at a grocery store.

My biggest lesson of the night - don’t buy Snapple in China. I think I paid about $10 for a bottle. I did a really good job searching our the best deal on bottled water, but was so excited to see Snapple I just put it in the basket without a second look at what it cost. Oops.

The breakfast buffet at the hotel was delicious, especially considering our food intake since we left. At the airport before we left Chicago the only thing I had time to eat were Cinnamelts from McDonalds. The plane food was less than appetizing, of which I ate mashed potatoes (mine and Joe’s), pretzels, cookies, and a roll. As you can imagine, Joe had even less than me, though he did manage to get himself a roast beef sandwich in Chicago before we left. At breakfast this morning I was so excited to see fruit I nearly cried - canned apricots and mandarin oranges have never tasted so good (and the fresh apples, pineapple and watermelon were awesome). Ditto for the honey nut cheerios. We had our fill of pancakes, ham, hash browns, and various bakery items as well. It would have even been better is the two of us were more adventurous eaters - they had Chinese items too - but we stick with what we know, at least at this point in the trip. I am sure in 2 weeks we will have branched out a little.

Joe is off to make some photocopies needed for our adoption processing, and I am getting stuff up here organized so we can head out to the Olympic venues this afternoon. I’ll write more after we get back from there.

No comments: